Archpriest Grigory Levitskiy
Archpriest Grigory Andreevich Levitskiy served 32 years: since 1840 until his death in 1872 in the Starocherkassk Army Cathedral of Christ’s Resurrection. Loving their home old and don story, he contributed to the elucidation of a number of historical facts relating to Starocherkassk as the ancient capital of the Cossacks, and the Azov campaign. Gregory Andreevich did everything possible for the dissemination of historical information in the nation. Thanks to his efforts in 1863 on the right side of the main entrance to the Cathedral was built an obelisk in memory of the arrival in Starocherkassk heir Tsarevich Nicholas. Under the leadership of father Gregory a chapel-monument was built “in honor and eternal glory of the don Cossacks – conquerors and strong holders of Azov” on the Monastery tract, six miles from Starocherkassk. On this place since 1642 there was a burial of the lost defenders of Azov – according to their precept: “Yes not to lie to our bones in the basurman earth”.
According to the memoirs of his contemporaries, FR. Gregory “wherever he could… found various archaeological rarities, which he liked to decorate his office, and the best examples of ancient things were transferred to them in the Novocherkassk gymnasium, and some were left in the old Church Parish school, in which he served as a teacher of law for more than 20 years.” For classes with the pupils of the school, he even specially arranged a sundial right on the Cathedral square, in front of the Western Church entrance. During these works poltoranina the recess he found a large iron door. This Azov trophy now we can see near the Cathedral.
Archpriest Gregory Levitsky described a family tree of the famous Cossacks. One of the first made an accurate description of the temples: described not only the appearance but also the interior, the iconostasis, the Church sacristy of the Cathedral, took the size of the temples. He belong to the chronological record relating to the temples of Cherkassk.
Thanks to the efforts of Archpriest Gregory of Leviticus and his assistants, it became possible to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Cathedral, which was attended by many high-ranking guests from Novocherkassk and the district, and even there was a salute.